I love playing games on my phone as much as the next guy. But I really want to play angry birds on my HD TV, stretched over 50″ wide. To really experience the full effect of several games, you want to put your phone down. Plug in & play games on any TV anywhere you go with the portable Game Stick console. This little USB device lets you bring your games to the big screen with a wireless bluetooth controller and a rapidly expanding library of games.
Game Stick ran a successful kickstarter campaign and have their micro consoles on pre-order now. They also offer a more comprehensive game controller and wireless docking station, additional storage and support for peripheral hardware neatly bundled so that it can be right next to your equally minimal TV setup. I am however left hoping they would offer one in black or brushed alumnium so match the TV set up I have.
GameStick packs quiet some punch in its little space:
- Processor – Amlogic 8726-MXS
- Memory – 1GB DDR3 / 8GB FLASH
- Content Download Manager w/ cloud storage for games – from all the demos it seems the user experience on this is by far ahead of other similar android devices
- Connectivity: WiFi – 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth – 4.0, Controller – Bluetooth 3.0
- O/S – Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
- Full 1080p HD video decoding
- Upgrade memory via microSD card slot (up to 32GB)
- Support for iOS and Android mobile devices to be used as controllers
- Support for XBMC.
Controller and Dock are only available in the UK from Game.
This one does earn itself a place on the wishlist for a pre-order – it is even getting full fledged XBMC integration, meaning the microconsole will also double as a full media center. They have shipped their kickstarter supports a dev kit bundle for apps, games or device integration and if you want to see a finished version, they air on the Gadget Show on 22nd of July.
How do you rate GameStick?